[TriLUG] SSL Certs

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri Oct 22 23:22:47 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 04:20:13PM -0400, Joseph Tate wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:55:42 -0400, Steve Hoffman <srhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for all the comments, I did talk to verisign (who's
> > outrageously overpriced by the way) and they have a 30 return policy
> > so they said I could buy it, then return it for the linux equivalent,
> > but that seems like more trouble the it's worth to just wait for the
> > new machines, I passed that info on to mgmt and they agreed.  So look
> > for another post when the new machines get here and I'm pulling my
> > hair out trying to get my cert :-)
> >

> We did all that hassle, and ended up with a regular 128bit cert from
> Thawte.  At one point we shifted from Windows to Linux without any
> hassles just had to download the different format cert.  This was
>
> With that said, it's interesting to note that Thawte is owned by
> Verisign, but they seem to be a lot more "fair" in their pricing and
> treatment of customers.  They also have an office in Raleigh, which is
> a plus when validating due dilligence like domain ownership, etc.

Unfortunately, they seem to have closed their local office ( was on Six
Forks just up from Staples and Intrex ) and so it's back to 800-land. If
their SSL certificates are anything like their e-mail certificates, you
can download any flavor you like whenever you like, of a particular
certificate.

On the other hand, I might suggest looking into CAcert.org as another
possible alternative.  ( one of the less-expensive version )

Brian