[TriLUG] SSL Certs

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Sun Oct 24 09:23:07 EDT 2004

Steve Hoffman wrote:

> Just to be sure, when everyone says hostname, they mean the host
> header and not machine name right?  I use hostname/machine name
> interchangably (perhaps incorrectly).
>
> The machines would be node1.domain.com and node2.domain.com, but the
> app is at app.domain.com which each machine will serve (and nothing
> else)....the app.domain.com is what everyone is referring to when they
> say hostname, right?

The client will be connecting to app.domain.com and through whatever skullduggery
you are using to loadbalance, the tcpip connection will terminate on your backend
server at some IP. This IP may be the same on all your backend machines
or it may be different on each machine depending on how you're doing the
loadbalancing. No matter how you do it, that IP must resolve on that backend
server to app.domain.com.

Joe

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov