[TriLUG] Knoppix + chroot question

Carlos J. Cela ccela at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 24 21:35:30 EDT 2004

Hi,

There is a PC at work I  need to be able to run Linux on, but the IT
guys are not very fond of installing a double boot... I thought on using
one of the distros that come with a LiveCD, and booting Linux from
it...my two concerns are:

1) I need to be able to use accelerated OpenGL. The PC is suppose to
have has a high end video card (not sure about make/model, will check
tomorrow) and it might need a patched kernel.. can I use a custom kernel
with a LiveCD?
2) If I need to install/run some software not in theLiveCD, how do I go
about?

Is it possible to have one partition dedicated to Linux and somehow run
a kernel from there without a double boot? Is this what chroot is
suppose to be used for? What LiveCD do you guys recommend? I have used
Knoppix from time to time, but will appreciate any idea/suggestion...

Thanks,
Carlos-