[TriLUG] Knoppix + chroot question

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Sun Oct 24 22:14:17 EDT 2004

Carlos J. Cela wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a PC at work I  need to be able to run Linux on, but the IT
> guys are not very fond of installing a double boot... I thought on
> using one of the distros that come with a LiveCD, and booting Linux
> from it...my two concerns are:
>
> 1) I need to be able to use accelerated OpenGL. The PC is suppose to
> have has a high end video card (not sure about make/model, will check
> tomorrow) and it might need a patched kernel.. can I use a custom
> kernel with a LiveCD?
> 2) If I need to install/run some software not in theLiveCD, how do I
> go about?
>
> Is it possible to have one partition dedicated to Linux and somehow
> run a kernel from there without a double boot? Is this what chroot is
> suppose to be used for? What LiveCD do you guys recommend? I have used
> Knoppix from time to time, but will appreciate any idea/suggestion...

Carlos,

I might suggest a bit less complicated solution.  Your last thought
indicates you'd like to actually install on the hard disk, but not show
the dual-boot menu on startup.  Upon the completion of your linux
install, instead of installing LILO or GRUB to a hard disk as you
normally would, install it to a floppy disk.  Whenever you need to boot
linux, you insert the floppy disk, but otherwise your operating system
will come up as normal.

David