[TriLUG] Knoppix + chroot question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 25 01:28:31 EDT 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Jason Tower wrote:

> you can run userspace programs from inside a chroot, but i don't think a
> kernel is gonna work.
>
> i think there are at least a few livecd linux distros that include the
> necessary kernel and userspace programs needed for accel 3d support,
> usually nvidia.
>
> i remember one time a while back jeremy portzer was at my place and we
> wanted to play bzflag.  he was using $WIFE's pc with knoppix (she used
> win98 at the time, but runs linux now), which did not include bzflag.
> it took a while but we somehow managed to get it working, unfortunately
> i don't remember exactly how.  but it is possible.

I think I downloaded and compiled bzflag into the ramdisk that Knoppix
provides; it's not a large program so this worked.  However that version
of Knoppix did not have the accelerated 3D support, so the actual bzflag
gameplay kinda sucked.  :-)

Carlos -- for a one-time thing, you could do like this and download the
program(s) you need to run into the ram disk.  Otherwise, you can "spin"
your own version of Knoppix (or whichever liveCD) -- I believe that Aaron
Joyner has posted information on how to do this in the past, and most
livecd sites include this documentation as well.

As Jason mentioned, I recommend looking for a live CD that already has the
3D acceleration installed and working, as this would be the hardest part
to add yourself.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy