[TriLUG] True Story about a rehat 9.0 desktop

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Mon Oct 25 11:23:58 EDT 2004

That's great!  I am not the only one running Linux at Appalachian, but I
have an interesting stoory about it anyway.  A few weeks ago (maybe a
month or so now) a guy on my hall that I've become friends with came to
me asking me to fix his laptop.  It's a Windows box, so I figured the
usual Ad-Aware and virus scanning and such.  We managed to get it fixed
up and working as well as Windows XP can, but while I was working on it
I got to talking to him about Linux.

Keep in mind this guy is a very good athlete, a runner actually, but not
exactly a computer geek.  Really, the laptop is only for email, the
occasional instant message, and writing papers.

The next week, the laptop was beyond being usable again.  He asked me to
put Linux, so I put Fedora Core 2 on it.  I showed him where the web
browser and gaim were and demonstrated how to save OpenOffice files as
Word documents and vice verca.  About 5 minutes of training.  Every time
I see him though he's excited about how well it works, how easy it is to
use, fast, etc.

But I'm glad to hear it's working out so well for you and your son!
Linux = good times!

-Jeff