[TriLUG] SSH proxy over HTML

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 26 09:37:42 EDT 2004

THe company where I work has a SSH proxy set up on the network.  The lastest version of putty supports the proxy.  The proxy uses HTML as transport.  I tried to capture some packets between my workstation and the proxy server using ethereal running on knoppix 3.6 but it core dumps everytime I try to examine the packets after the catpure has been completed.

Since the proxy supports HTML I would imagine that from my workstation to my proxy all text is sent in the clear, correct?  This kind of stinks because the proxy, or any machine in-line between my workstation and the proxy, can examine all the packets being delivered to the proxy, right?

Has anyone ever set up a SSH proxy using HTML?  Can the SSH proxy be configured to use it's own internal HTML proxy server for connections requested over a SSH tunnel over the Internet?

Eh.  Oh well, it is Big Brother's network afterall so I should play by his rules and be happy about it.

Greg