[TriLUG] printing, vpn, stuff

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Tue Oct 26 14:53:16 EDT 2004

Brian,

We are using OpenVPN 2.0 and it is working well.  We use both the
Linux and Windows clients; the VPN server is a Debian box.

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/

The larger question I think is whether you want people printing to printers
they can't see.  If there is a jam, low toner, etc., it can be a little tricky
to address the situation appropriately.  For instance, what if a page prints
with no toner?  Will the user on the warehouse end be able to reprint the
order?  Obviously, since these are orders, none can be lost!  Maybe the answer
is to create a document repository, where the warehouse users can view, print
and reprint.

Bob Shepherd

--- Triangle Linux Users Group discussion
list <trilug at trilug.org wrote:
Hi,
>   The company for which I work is spooling
up to open a distribution
> warehouse on the west coast.  The prevailing
idea of how to handle orders
> seems to be to continue taking orders here
in the east coast facility, and
> pass the appropriate orders along to the
west coast warehouse for shipping.
> The thought that has been prevalent
has been to set up a remote printing
> situation in which our sales staff
can take orders here, click Print, and
> automagically the order prints
on a printer in California.
>   This sounds to me like a prime candidate
for VPN.  In order to simplify
> things on this end, I was considering using
our linux server to maintain the
> VPN connection and printer share, then
share that printer internally among
> all the workstations (i.e. the workstations
simply think they're printing to
> the linux host; only the linux machine
knows the printer is on the other end
> of a vpn tunnel).
>   Is this a
sane idea?  Is there a better way to achieve this goal?  I've
> never set
up a VPN before; are there any certain gotchas out for which I
> ought to
look?

> Thanks grandly,
> ~Brian