[TriLUG] Another VPN Question

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:51:55 EDT 2004

At my last job, I ordered an appliance based VPN (Toshiba Magnia SG20)
for under $200 a year or so ago.  The thing was sweet, though a little
pokey.  It was linux based and served up a PPP connection.  Since it's
linux based, and in fact RH something based, you can download and
install x86 RPMs on the thing.  I never found a way to integrate the
PPP with my LDAP credentials server, but the client was ubiquitous and
available on modern Windows systems with no download needed.  IPSec
and PPP will work over modem connections, but require the client to be
on the machine doing the dialing.  That precludes using an appliance
at the client end.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:40:07 -0400, Brian Henning
<brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
> >> Do yourself a favor and buy two Linksys routers (~$80/each). Setup the
> <snippy>
> > Will the linksys routers work through dialup too?  I hadn't suggested that
> <snip>
>
> Yeah, that was my thinking...  The user's home scenario is most likely a
> single computer with a modem.  No home LAN, no broadband.  As much as I
> would love a "install a home LAN with a Linux-based firewall/NAT/PPP-sharing
> box" solution, it's pretty much as out-of-the-question as any other change
> in his home hardware.  About the most I can likely hope to get is a demand
> for personal firewall software to be installed on his box.
>
> Thanks for the input so far!
>
> ~B

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com