[TriLUG] Dumb mgetty/pppd question

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Oct 28 13:57:32 EDT 2004

Hey Gang,
  For my droid wanting outside access to the company financial files, I've
decided on direct dial-in access.  I figure that at least removes the
vulnerability of his unsecured machine becoming a big fat bridge between our
LAN and the internet at large.
  So my dumb question is, presuming  I have mgetty and pppd correctly
configured, will his machine, once connected (using Windows DUN), behave as
if it were cabled directly into our network (albeit hideously slowly, of
course)?  He'll get an internal IP and be able to ping other internal hosts
just like he were in the building, right?  And thereby be able to map a
windows share across said link?
  Otherwise, what am I leaving out?  That's the function we need--the
ability for his home computer (Win98) to map a share on a company server.

Thanks again!
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com