[TriLUG] disabling screen blanking

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Oct 28 14:20:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:16, Chris Knowles wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:05, Brian Henning wrote:
> > I don't know about Debian in particular, but I can attest to John's claim
> > that it's not X that is messing with you.  A text login would do the same
> > thing, and my guess is that it's an apm issue.  Check your BIOS, and also
> > any apm software you may have running, for screen-blanking (or shut-off)
> > options.
> >
> > Hope this isn't completely off-the-wall,
> > ~Brian
>
> <SNIP LOTS OF OTHER STUFF>
>
> It could be an APM issue, but console blanking is turned on on debian.
> After GTFW, for "linux console screen blanking" I found several
> references to "setterm -blank N" where N is the number of minutes to
> elapse before the console is blanked.  N=0 will disable this.

I was under the impression that this console blanking only applies to
the text virual terminals (e.g., Ctrl-alt-f1 through f6).  The original
poster was running X, and he's gone through the necessary steps to turn
off the various X blanking set up.

But David Rasch pointed out on IRC that maybe there is a bug in some
versions of Debian in which the console blanking DOES still apply in X,
even though it shouldn't.   Hmm.

Jeremy