[TriLUG] Dumb mgetty/pppd question

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Oct 28 15:23:33 EDT 2004

Among other things, Jeremy said:
> 2 - Bridging
>
> There are some nifty kernel modules that allow bridging.  This setup
> would allow you to simply give out an IP address that's already on the
> local LAN to the remote client, and not have to worry about routing
> issues.  Then, the dialin server could automatically bridge the packets
> from the ppp interface to the Ethernet interface.  At least, I think
> this is possible; I haven't done it.  Hopefully someone else can chime
> in.

This fits in with my understanding of the semantics of the term "bridging."
And it sounds like exactly what I want to happen.  Can anyone point me
toward some docs or howtos or explanations of how to cause this to happen?
The implication of Jeremy's post is that simply configuring mgetty/pppd to
give the remote host an IP on the same subnet as the rest of the LAN isn't
enough, and that's all I've done so far.

Continued thanks,
~Brian