[TriLUG] Documentation format question

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Thu Oct 28 19:19:55 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 07:38:18AM -0400, Ben Pitzer <uncleben at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I've started using a Wiki environment for documentation purposes at my data
> center.  It's got a simplified markup language, but if you really go into
> it, it can get pretty extended.  The most important stuff is easy, however.
>
> I use PMwiki (http://www.pmwiki.org/), however I've heard MoinMoin
> (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/), Twiki (http://twiki.org/), and TikiWiki
> (http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php) are popular.  PHPWiki needs alot of
> work, and has a much less professional interface.
>
> As for the PDF printable feature, well, PMwiki does have a feature, but
> requires Adobe Acrobat's 'import from web' feature.  I don't think that it
> or any other wiki have the ability to generate PDF files on their own,
> although it is OSS written in PHP, so you might be able to do it on your
> own.  PMwiki even has a page written up about the feature that you request,
> and has a list of issues that must be addressed to handle it:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Development/WikiBooks
>
> Also, check out #wiki.  If anybody is awake, they can probably help you out
> in choosing a suitable wiki, if that's what you want to try.

I tried Dokuwiki http://www.splitbrain.org/dokuwiki/wiki:dokuwiki at the
recommendation of a blog about PHP that I frequent
http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-view.php?blogid=9 after using PHPWiki for
a while (http://wiki.raschnet.com).  I much prefer Dokuwki and hope to
transition mine soon with the help of some regex's.

I particularly like the syntax highlighting, and sub-page editing (edit
just part of the page rather than always editing the whole thing).

David