[TriLUG] system imager

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 28 22:04:59 EDT 2004

So I was using kickstart for my RedHat builds and we are now moving to
Suse. I wasn't able to find any simple information on the autoyast
stuff. And to be honest even kickstart left much more work to be done
after the initial install. So I went in search of something like the
Solaris Jumpstart with flash archives method.

It seems disk imaging is mostly used for clustering (might be using an
IBM Blade Center soon). But I found System Imager
(www.systemimager.org) to be useful even if you don't have clusters. We
seem to buy/build machines of similar hardware (IBM xSeries) and have
in the past installed the same set of software for the most part. So
the process of building one or two images and just coping it to the
drives seems to be a time saver.

I just started with SI so I need to work on installing the image on a
machine with different hardware/partitions, but it can be done.

So if you find yourself doing lots of installs of the same stuff you
might want to give it a try.

John