[TriLUG] I need to fix a corrupted mailspool (mbox)

Errol Casey errol at nouce.net
Fri Oct 29 00:15:46 EDT 2004

I have a 300+ MB spool file normal unix mail; but it was created via
getmail (top pop mail) and the headers got changed such that the From:
line was not the
first line, of each message. I thought I could fix it by rewriting the
file to remove all the headers before From:, and re-save the spool. But
evidently, I must not have the correct carriage-return/line feed between
messages, or other lines because the 300 MB spool file is still un-
readable via mutt or qpopper due to issues with the format.

I've tried reprocessing what I have with formail -s procmail
procmail_file < inbox; where procmail_file resaved the processed
messages to a new spool file.  The outcome is still an unusable spool.

Anybody have any ideas of I can get this spool, into a readable format?
other than looking at the entire spool :-)

I plan to get it readable by qpopper, and pop it into my desktop so I
can view individual messages.
--
Errol Casey
errol at nouce.net