[TriLUG] The "right" way to disable graphical boot

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Oct 29 12:21:22 EDT 2004

Howdy Folks,

Morris Walton's message reminded me that I've been meaning to ask this for a
while now.

I dislike FC's fancy graphical boot process.  It strikes me as pandering
toward the computer-illiterate by hiding information, and wasteful from a
resource standpoint.  So I want to turn it off.

At home, I hacked rc.sysinit and commented out the lines responsible for
launching the graphical boot, but that doesn't seem like the "right" way to
disable it.  I see that there's a condition for starting graphical boot,
"$GRAPHICAL" = "yes".  How is that var set?  My guess would be a kernel
parameter, perhaps that I could set in grub.conf.  Am I right?  I've never
messed with kernel params before, so I'm sort of in the dark on how to make
this happen.

Thanks as always,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning