[TriLUG] meet N. Raleigh to use USB floppy?

Matthew Todd matthew.todd at alumni.duke.edu
Fri Oct 29 12:30:07 EDT 2004

Hi, all --

Might I be able to meet anyone in the North Raleigh area this afternoon
to borrow a USB floppy drive for a 5 minute laptop bios update? I'm in
#trilug as mtodd.

(Preparing for a Debian install from CompactFlash.)

Thanks!  -- Matthew

<background>
  I've previously performed Linux installs on my floppy- and cdrom-less
  laptop over PXE, but I'll shortly be leaving the environment with the
  PXE server.

  So, since the laptop does have a CompactFlash slot (and I have a CF
  card), I'd like to install that way.

  Except the laptop needs a bios update to support booting from
  CompactFlash. It's a 2-step update, first to some controller program,
  then to the bios itself.

  Again, floppyless, yesterday I managed to boot both floppy update
  images *remotely over PXE.* This was way cool, but it only worked for
  the first step of the update, not the second, so I need some other way
  to do the bios update.

  Writeup here: http://trilug.org/~mtodd/blog/Tech/MorePXEMadness.rdoc
</background>