[TriLUG] OT: UPS on Cablemodem -- was m0n0wall -- was OT: trackingsoftware.

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 30 22:47:00 EDT 2004

Almost all of TW's hub sites do (or very soon will, but I think they all do)
have UPSes.  However, just as with the UPS that your cable modem and PC are
attached to, when that battery runs out, so does the power, unless it's been
restored in time.  The fact is that until backup generators for such sites
are much more affordable, no cable system in the country will be able to
handle a 2 day power outage without some interruption in service.  Of
course, with voice services growing among cable vendors, generators may soon
be the way to go.  But naturally, I can't speak for the folks who make those
decisions.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--