[TriLUG] yum.conf problems

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 22:49:50 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:29:27 -0500, linux r <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.   I downloaded a new yum.conf file from fedorafaq.org.
> Uncommented a few things.  Can't get yum.conf to work at all,
> everything dies.  This is a fresh install of FC1.  Any ideas on what
> to tweak here and why?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
>

> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=fedora-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=0
> # Added this because some mirrors go down and then retying takes forever.
> retries=1
>
> ##################
> ## Basic Fedora ##
> ##################
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>   http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>   http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.os
>   http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
> #gpgcheck=1
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://ftp.ens.utulsa.edu/pub/linux/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>   http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>   http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.updates
>   http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever
> #gpgcheck=1

Sheesh.  The above is all you really need.  Get that working, and
you'll be well on your way.  You can add additional repositories after
that.

<Lots of problems waiting to happen snipped>

> And this is the output:
>
> [root at 185 etc]# yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.os/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method

Can you browse to this URL?  Does it exist?  It's in your repository
list, but does it actually work.

Strip down your yum.conf to something manageable.  No sense trying to
swallow the whale whole.  Also, check your /var/log/yum.log  It may
have more info on why the failover was occurring.

Now: Yum works best on a handful of non-overlapping repositories.
Pick your favorites, and you'll be better off.  If you have 15
repositories, expect it to take all your bandwidth to download all the
headers, and then to take all your ram and cpu to calculate
dependencies.  I would expect that if you actually had working links
for all of your repositories above that the initial start up process
would take over an hour.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com