[TriLUG] OT: battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16Vsystem

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Nov 2 09:54:00 EST 2004

I can address the question of why you use a 16-volt charger to charge a
9-volt battery (at least, I think I can)..
Same reason the nominal charging voltage of your car (12-volt battery) is
also around 16-18 volts.  The short, electrical-theory-free answer is a
higher charging voltage means a shorter charge time.

The slightly longer, gloss-over-the-details answer is that at a higher
charging voltage (and therefore higher charging current assuming a simple RC
charging circuit), it takes fewer multiples of the RC time constant to reach
the target voltage across the battery.

The warning against using a higher-voltage supply is to protect you from
potentially blowing the regulator circuits that drop the 16V down to the
various lower voltages used by the computer's circuits, and possibly to
limit the charging current through the battery.  (Higher current == faster
charging... too high current == bang)  You would *probably* be safe only two
or three volts over, and suffer little more than shortened regulator and
battery life, but I would strongly suggest sticking to the specified
ratings.

Cheers,
~Brian