[TriLUG] OT: battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16V system

john mitchell john280z at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 11:51:20 EST 2004

 >Joseph Mack wrote:
> I have an IBM thinkpad with a 9 cell (nominal 10.8V) Li-ion battery.
 > ...a lot deleted.....

    Ok Folks, there is a difference if its a Li-ion or a Ni-cad OR a Lead acid
battery. Each type of battery requires its own type (read Voltage and Current)
type of charging device. Using a charger for one type of battery on a
different battery type can have explosive results, like in BOOM.
    Some chargers (or "wall-warts" or "bricks") are internally designed to
limit the current at the output plug while other chargers are simple devices
that let the Laptop do the voltage and current limiting. So if I use a simple
charger with a laptop that expects the charger to limit the current - YeeHa!
    So, if the laptop was my own personal (bought with my money and no
extended warranty) laptop and I did not want to carry the brick around all the
time I would buy a second factory charger (or an equivalent from somebody like
- http://www.batteries.com/ ).
    If you do try another charger, see if the laptop has a battery condition
window/program and also monitor the temperature of the battery while it is
charging. Generally speaking, if you can't leave your hand on it, something
may be getting to hot.

john mitchell