[TriLUG] Re: White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

John Kono jkono at muswtech.com
Wed Nov 3 21:57:35 EST 2004

On Nov 03, 2004, at 06:11, linux r wrote:

> 1.  I need to set up a mail server and also apache with a tiny site.
> Can I run this on a G4 or G5 without too much of a headache?

As long as your requirements aren't too esoteric, you should be able to
do both without any additional software on either the system with Mac
OS 10.2.x or 10.3.x.  Both come with Apache and mail server software
(Sendmail on 10.2.x or Postfix on 10.3.x).  Mail server add-ons
(Spamassassin, ClamAV, etc.) are available as installable packages --
usually with GUI front-ends -- making installation and configuration
pretty simple.

If you need additional capabilities, you can install Fink
(http://fink.sourceforge.net/) under Mac OS and download other
opensource software in a manner similar to the package tools on Fedora
or, more closely, Debian.

Finally, as others have mentioned, there are the Linux distros for
Apple hardware (Yellowdog, PowerPC Linux, etc.) as well as various
flavors of BSD (Darwin, NetBSD, etc.), but these will require a
moderate amount of tinkering to configure for your needs.

Good luck!

John Kono