[TriLUG] NFS mount error... portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:47:01 EST 2004

Hi all,

Me again. Well, I'm trying to retrieve the data from my server that
crashed a couple days ago, and I want to NFS these files to some other
NFS share. Using the "Linux Recovery CD" recommended earlier, I am able
to mount my drives; but trying to NFS mount, the following happens:

%mount xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/nfsmount /path

portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-5
portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
lockd_up: no pid, 2 users??
portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out
portmap: Server localhost not responding, timed out

etc.

Any ideas? :(