[TriLUG] RAID Recover after losing 1 disk in RAID-1 setup

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 10:25:18 EST 2004

Hi All,

I have a friend I've managed to convert to Linux and he has a server
that he managed to setup with a software RAID of 2 drives in RAID-1
(mirroring).

Last night he heard a clicking sound in his server and upon
investigation he determined it was one of his mirrored drives. He has
replaced the drive, but doesn't know how to "recover" so that the new
drive becomes part of the RAID again, thus having redundancy again.

I'm not very familiar with software raid on Linux so I could not give
him the commands he needed over the phone or via e-mail. Does anyone
know the appropriate steps/commands to get him back on the correct
track?

He is running Mandrake 10 on his system.

Thanks

-Weave

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of
the coffee bean that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains,