[TriLUG] seeking advice for a bullet-proof mail server

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Nov 5 11:03:57 EST 2004

On Fri, November 5, 2004 10:34 am, Ryan Leathers said:
> My problem there Joseph is that I won't have the luxury of waiting.
> In a
> nutshell, this mail server is a component of a business process
> automation
> plan.  Some number of the mail messages arriving will be the type that
> must
> be delivered in near real time.  That's why I mentioned using LVS to
> distribute incoming mail, or MX balancing. Its not about performance,
> just
> reliability.  If a mail server dies I have to keep chugging even while
> it is
> being recovered.  Queuing will not suffice except for the normal
> customer
> mail.

Ryan,

Question,  It sounds like you have two theoretically different types
of mail being recieved.  The first type is normal mail that everyone
gets and can read whenever the recipient likes.  The second sounds
like mail that will be acted up by some process instead of a person
hence the automation part.  If this scenario is true, can you identify
the email that needs to be automated prior to it hitting your door?
What i mean is, does it go to a certain email address or have a
specific subject etc?

Matt Pusateri