[TriLUG] OT: Anyone interested in seeing a vegetable oil powered car after Thursday's meeting?

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 11:20:22 EST 2004

I don't know that "seeing" it would do me much good, but I would be
interested in your general experienes.

 - Cost of conversion
 - Time and cost of collection & filtering waste oil
 - Milage comparisions (Gas/Diesl vs Veg Oil).
 - Maintance issues (pre and post conversion).

I ask because eventually my 1996 195K Honda Civic is going to give up
the ghost, or some stupid drive is going to finally hit me. Either way
I'm going to have to get another car "eventually." Your converted Jetta
sounds more environmentally friendly since it uses renewable resources
like vegetable oil.

I wonder if I could convert my Civic to run on Grain Alochol? Nothing
like stopping by the ABC store once a week to fill up ;-)

-Weave

Tobias Crawley [tcrawley at gmail.com] wrote on Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:02:30AM -0500:
> Steve,
>
> I use waste vegetable oil from restaurants, which they give me for
> free. So my cost is my time to collect and fitler the oil.
>
> Tobias
>

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:00:55 -0500, Steve Litt
> <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 November 2004 10:51 am, Tobias Crawley wrote:
> > > I know we are all tinkerers at heart, so I thought there might be some
> > > interest in this.
> > >
> > > I recently converted my Volkswagen Jetta TDI to run off of vegetable
> > > oil, and will have it with me Thursday night. I can demonstrate how
> > > the system works and answer any questions if anyone is interested.
> >
> > Do you have a cheap source for vegetable oil?
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > Founder and acting president: GoLUG
> > http://www.golug.org
> > --
> --
> Tobias O. Crawley / tcrawley at gmail.com
> "Arrogance is quoting yourself." - Tobias O. Crawley
> "Ignorance is quoting others." - Aaron T. Dixon

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of
the coffee bean that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains,
stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.