[TriLUG] OT: Anyone interested in seeing a vegetable oil poweredcar after Thursday's meeting?

Tobias Crawley tcrawley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:57:24 EST 2004

Hi Jim,

I used the kit from greasecar.com, but now that I have done the
conversion, I would probably do my next one from parts.

I'm collecting the oil into 5 gallon oil jugs using a 12 volt pump. I
pull the jugs from restaraunt dumpsters. I then leave it in the jugs
for a week or two to let the water and large chunks settle out before
filtering.

I believe the mileage is comparable to what my car gets on diesel,
which is 46-50 MPG. Since it is a dual fuel system it is hard to gauge
how much I am actually using.

A great resource on Biodiesel/alt. fuels is Piedmont Biofuels
Cooperative (http://biofuels.coop). The three founders all teach
alternative energy courses at Central Carolina Community College in
Pittsboro (http://www.ccc.edu). In fact, starting in January they will
be teaching a Diesel Mechanics course which they hope to focus on
veggie oil conversions.

Tobias

Tobias O. Crawley / tcrawley at gmail.com
"Arrogance is quoting yourself." - Tobias O. Crawley
"Ignorance is quoting others." - Aaron T. Dixon