[TriLUG] The buck stops here (unfortunately)

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Thu Nov 11 11:33:55 EST 2004

I am an apps developer for a small company, and I happen to also be the manager
of our IS department, deservingly or not.  I am faced with a fairly important
decision about our email, and being a relative Linux newbie, I feel unqualified
to make it without some additional assistance.

My sys-admin, god love him,
a F/OSS guru, keeps me on my toes.  The current proposal is to change our
email server as follows:

from:

RedHat Linux 7.3
Open LDAP (accounts
& passwords updated daily via a script)
procmail
postfix-tls

SpamAssassin

Shorewall
Webmail: Apache + Neomail

Debian Testing
MySQL 4.0
(accounts and passwords updated via SQL)
Courier-IMAP-SSL
Courier-POP-SSL

postfix-tls
postfix-mysql
Webmail: Apache + SquirrelMail

His rationale...

"I want to replace OpenLDAP with MySQL for the accounts.  Making SQL queries
will be more intuitive for both of us, vastly increasing the amount of control
we may exercise over the system."

"The reason I want to use certs is, simply,
to make my life easier on the mail server.  Our current SMTP AUTH process
uses SASL ("Simple Authentication and Security Library", although there's
little simple about it).  "

My initial reaction is, if it ain't broke why
fix it.  But if this is a better solution, then I'm willing to approve it.

Your thoughts?

Bob Shepher