[TriLUG] Candidate Bio: David Matusiak

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Thu Nov 11 13:16:59 EST 2004

Hello TriLUGgers --

My name is David Matusiak and I am a candidate for the Steering
Committee in this special mid-season election.  Admittedly, the shoes
left empty by Jeremy Portzer will be difficult to fill, but I would
like an opportunity to provide TriLUG with trustworthy leadership and
whatever helpful knowledge I can provide (and thats a tough one, as
this is quite the knowledgeable group!).

Specifically, I'd like to tackle some problems that the Steering
Committee has been struggling with for some time.  Some of the items on
my list include:

  - attracting and retaining new members.  This is of utmost importance
both for the long-term survival of TriLUG and to meet our goal of
greater F/OSS adoption.

  - creating and fostering a culture of respect (especially on-list
behavior).  Our community is filled with some bright people, but we
often disintegrate into bickering.  This hurts TriLUG and it hurts
Linux.  I would like to drive us towards an environment that is
friendly, on-topic and informative.

  - continue to expand and improve our workshops, installfests and
training classes.  These activities help everyone, as instructors gain
credentials and students gain invaluable knowledge and insight.  As an
added bonus, these seem to be activities that really get the group (and
broader community) excited.  Lets keep up the momentum!

I have seen quite a bit transpire since 1999 and often I am encouraged
by what I see.  I want to do my part to make TriLUG something to be
proud of and to encourage others to join, learn and participate.  The
Triangle is an amazing place for technology and for geeks in general.
I love being a part of our culture and would like to support it in any
way I can.

Thanks for your consideration.  See you all tonite!
dave m.