[TriLUG] Series 2 TIVO mods?

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 14:50:33 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:22:33 -0500, Scott G. Hall
<scottghall at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Has anyone been able to enable the USB ports on their Series 2 TIVOs,
> DirecTV versions?
>
> I am trying to duplicate other model TIVO mods where a network interface
> is added via the USB port.  This would allow my TIVO to access updates
> and program schedules via the web rather than dialup.
>
> The other intent is to access the MPEG-2 files stored within the TIVO
> via another Linux box in another room.
>
> Note: the online TIVO forums are mostly mum on DirecTV versions of
> series 2.  And I haven't bothered to mount the drive in my Linux box
> directly yet to tweak around it -- I was hoping for someone else to
> have done it first.  (I tweaked my cousin's series 1 TIVO quite easily,
> it was just a Slackware Linux on an old kernel and missing a lot of
> drivers and files -- easily mounted and added to; ext2 root filesystem)

I've done this with Stand Alone (SA) model just recently.  My
understanding is that except for a few minor differences hacking one
is the same as hacking the other.

Adding a USB ethernet or wireless card is easy, and requires no
"hacking".  Tivo's website should have information including supported
cards.  Or are you suggesting that these USB ports are disabled on the
DTiVo models?

When you get that far, post again with specific questions.  When I was
looking for SA information it seemed like the dearth of information
was on the SAs not the DTivos.  Perhaps it's the poor organization of
the information.

The pulling of the files is where I'm stuck right now.  I've got
mfs_ftp loaded on the TiVo which seems to be the easiest way to pull
them, but then I can't get at the MPEG data.  They're either in ty,
ty+, tmf or asx formats.

The only other non-MS option that I know of is TyStudio (search for it
on sourceforge), but it's not been updated in about a year, and Series
2 support is seriously lacking.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com