[TriLUG] my red hat subscription expiring

Kevin Sonney ksonney at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 10:57:14 EST 2004

Ryan -

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:21:55 -0500, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> spent.  My pain is that these private hosts lag behind in patches since I
> have to do everything by hand.  Can anyone suggest a better way to handle
> updates for my RHEL hosts on a private network?

There are a couple of ways to address this.

First there's the RHN satellite service, which is essentially the RHN
Server inside your network. It can work connected to RHN or
disconnected. It's designed for just this sort of environment. Of
course, it also has all kinds of features on top of that, including
custom software channels, local package caching, and reduced
distribution time.  There is also config file management, bare metal
provisioning, and scheduled rollbacks as add-ons.

Alternately, there's RHN Proxy, which can work in a DMZ. Proxy is
designed to connect to the main RHN servers. If you have hosts that
are completely disconnected from your public facing network (i.e. a
physical gap situation) then Proxy won't work.

Information on RHN Satellite and Proxy are available at
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/, or by contacting your Red Hat
Sales Representative at the usual numbers.

--
-- Kevin Sonney
-- ksonney at gmail.com