[TriLUG] usb to serial adapter

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Mon Nov 15 16:58:44 EST 2004

> do these devices work nicely with linux?  are any special drivers required
> or is linux support pretty much a given (can i use them with minicom as
> /dev/ttyS0 or something similar)?  any particular brands/models y'all can
> recommend?

Yeah, I've got a new thinkpad (R50) and no serial port.   Oddly enough, it comes
with a big fat parallel port, which (1) I haven't used in about 5 years, and (2)
takes about twice as much space as a serial port.  Oh, and no PS/2 port either, so
both USB ports are used all the time (ext. keyboard and mouse).  Grrr....

Anyway, I bought an IOGEAR (model: GUC232A) from best buy, and it works fine, no
drivers or nothing -- at least with Fedora 2+ stock kernel.

For minicom, you have to use /dev/ttyUSB0.  One thing I noticed about minicom was
that the menu system wouldn't allow me to type in "/dev/ttyUSB0" -- it kept
truncating the last character.  So after I saved the config file, I had to manually
edit the device name.  Works perfect now.