[TriLUG] Off Topic - job description

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Nov 16 23:29:07 EST 2004

Ryan Leathers wrote:
> here is a job description for a junior sysadmin with 3-7 years of experience
>
> what should the salary range be in the RTP area for such a person?

> Skills needed for this position:
>
 > (list stripped)

As a few others have mentioned, what you're asking for is probably best
qualified as an Intermediate level admin.  For further details on the
distinctions between various "levels" of sysadmin roles, check out the
SAGE website, in particular this page:
http://www.sage.org/field/jobs-descriptions.mm

As for what an appropriate pay scale for a SAGE Level III (Intermediate)
admin in the RTP metro area would be - a good starting point would be
the SAGE 2003 Salary Survey.

Research Triangle, NC Metro Area ----
years of experience ... Salary
2 to 4              ... 45,275
5 to 9              ... 61,888

I've only included the relevant data to your question, as technically
the complete SAGE salary survey is available only to members of SAGE.

Now having this data presented, I can safely say that some people are
paid quite well for this area, and some are not paid quite so well.  If
you're willing to wait and look for someone who's particularly hungry,
you might find someone in the mid 30s to low 40s.  Just know that
they're going to be looking elsewhere while they're working for you -
you're a stop on the way.  If you're looking for someone who meets more
of your qualifications and want to find them on a shorter time schedule,
consider paying in the mid 40s to low 50s.  If you want someone who's
going to stay there for more than a year or two, you'll probably want to
go in the mid 50s, or at least plan to grow the salary into that range.

I suppose the short of it, is that it really varies, depending on what
type of person you're looking for, and in some ways how lucky you are
with the timing of your opening.

Good luck to you,
Aaron S. Joyner
System Administrator