[TriLUG] OpenNMS and mapping

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Wed Nov 17 12:20:56 EST 2004

On Nov 17, 2004, at 11:43 AM, Shane O'Donnell wrote:

> Network management is about information collection (active and
> passive) and
> display for someone who requires that information to do their job.
> Maps are
> for managers.

I so agree, maps are evil. There is a group in Italy that is working on
some for OpenNMS and they have a branch in our CVS, but I don't think
any code has been contributed.

The average network size of our commercial support customers is around
7000 nodes - just pretty much impossible to make a useful map out of
it, that can be *maintained*. Sure, you can get one to work for a
little while, but you'd find yourself spending half your time
maintaining the map for little benefit.

-T
___
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer			Main:		+1 919 545 2553
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.					Fax:			+1 503-961-7746
Email: tarus at opennms.org				URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C