[TriLUG] OpenNMS and mapping

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 17 14:31:49 EST 2004

Yeah, we've got sniffers by the boat-load.  Literally.  At this time there are two networks operating side-by-side, the old DEC and Cabletron network with the 16 bit mask and the new Cisco-based "routed" network with the 24.  When we migrate a building we physically move connections from the old network to the new, sexy, 10-gig network.   So, eventually, all that will be left over on the old network are the gigaswitches, cabletron FDDI attached hubs and other edge devices.  So if I look at a map and nothing is "hanging off" any edge devices I'm in good shape and I can turn off the old backbone FDDI connection points.  Problem is when I do nmap scans of the "old" network I get way more IP addresses out there then the amount of core and edge network devices.  So there are things out there..  Somewhere.  I'm trying to group them by vendor ID of the MAC addresses to determine what is likely to be a user workstation or a network attached printer but that is tedious.  And it still doesn't tell  me where the devices are located (on which campus).

Sniffers might work too, though.

Greg