[TriLUG] Job at Google, in California or Ireland

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Nov 19 13:42:31 EST 2004

On Fri, November 19, 2004 11:53 am, Jon Carnes said:
> On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 11:35, Reginald Reed wrote:
>> Yes, I agree here - hiring the best and brightest is what *all*
>> companies want to do.  In order to do this, you must be attractive
>> the top talent because:
>>
>> * They are already employed
>> * They are probably being treated well by their current employer
>> (sometimes this isn't the case if the employer is clueless or
>> stupid)
>> * They can get jobs fairly quickly in other places
>>
>> Of course once you have the top talent, you have to retain them, but
>> thats a completely different discussion.
>>
>> Just my nickle as a manager.
>
> Not to throw a monkey wrench in here, but really most companies don't
> want the best/brightest. They want a wide variety of folks depending
> on
> the job to be filled.

Having had to hire 25-30 people and probably having interviewed in the
hundreds.  I can attest that sometimes all a company wants it the
Brightest and the Best that I can get for X dollars.  Even if I need
better, that is not an option.  All that matters is can I fill the
position for this much money.  Too bad some companies think this way,
because they probably would be better companies if they realized
picking the person based solely on budget is bad.

Matt Pusateri