[TriLUG] Pen-Based Computing

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Fri Nov 19 22:38:28 EST 2004

Hi Guys,
  I've been doing a little googling for handwriting recognition and am not
coming up with much..  Here's the skinny:

- Fujitsu Stylistic 1000 tablet computer.  486dx2, 40MB RAM, 128MB of
storage right now (a compact flash card...looking for a cheap microdrive
also).  1.44MB floppy, no CD-ROM, has PCMCIA network card.
- I want to load some lightweight linux, maybe Slackware.
- I do want X.  I have plain VGA (640x480, 16 colors).
- I'd really like to have handwriting recognition.  It doesn't have to be
natural handwriting; a single-stroke set like Grafitti would suit me just
fine.  At any rate, I want to be able to use the machine without connecting
any external input devices.  A popup keyboard would also be an acceptable
solution.

So.  Anyone have any suggestions, or prior experience with Linux in a
pen-based environment?

Thanks greatly,
~Brian