[TriLUG] printing directly to IPP from Linux

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Sat Nov 20 00:04:19 EST 2004

On Nov 19, 2004, at 2:28 PM, gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> I have a printer listening on ports 631/ipp, 515/printer, and
> 9100/jetdirect.
>
> I am running knoppix 3.6 on my work laptop.
>
> I would like to print DIRECTLY to the printer (i.e. no setting up
> CUPS, no defining a queue anywhere (hopefully), etc).
>
> I read the lp man page and tried this, but it failed:
>
> echo "a bunch of mindless crap" | lp -h 192.168.10.242
>
> (where the IP Address is the address of the HP printer).
>
> LP barfs and says: "lp - error -scheduler not responding!"
>
> Any ideas on any way to print directly to this printer?
>
> I am trying to send a "Dear user - we need to know the location of
> this printer, blah blah blah" to about 100 "lost" printers and I'd
> rather not set up a queue for each one.  Plain, unformatted ASCII text
> is okay (that means "we" did our due diligence in this case and we can
> move on if they choose not to call us back).

lprng can do this.  it has a "print directly to this printer, no local
spooling" optioni and, IIRC, you can say -Plp@<ipaddr> to send to a
particular IP using the 515/printer style remote printing.  I forget
the exact syntax, so check the man page and/or other docs for it.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org
ICBM: 38º 56' 32.6"N 77º 24' 47.7"W Z+62m