[TriLUG] linksys wrtg54g range problems

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Sat Nov 20 21:05:59 EST 2004

On 11/20/2004 08:41 PM, Ralph Blach wrote:

> I have a linksys wrtg54g wireless access point and it seem to have
> range wireless range problems.  Is this normal
> for the linksys wireless access points.  The two cards I have are
> wireless b cards, do  I definately dont need
> G but better range would be nice.
> Any sugestions?

First off, I would ask if you had any 2.4GHz mobile phones in the house;
if so, junk them for the 900MHz or 5.8GHz models.  I have had the best
success placing my (only) 2.4GHz phone in the same room as the WLAN
router (WRT54G) and I didn't have any problems unless I was within a few
feet of the wireless client.

Another question would be whether your neighbors are stepping into your
frequency.  I believe the only non-overlapping frequencies are 1, 6, and
11.  Most people use 1, if memory serves.  It's CDMA but all users are
not using the same frequency so some interference in overlapped
frequencies does occur.  I acually had this problem for a while before
doing a search of access points; my neighbor and I were using the same
frequency.

G doesn't help with range... G only helps for short range to increase
the data rate.  At the longer ranges, G modulation reverts back to
B-mode (albeit still encrypted with WPA, etc).  802.11a apparently has
less range, too, due to higher attenuation of signal by your home at the
higher frequencies.  You could try buying a cheap (less than $50)
directional antenna.  I'm not going to mention any of the home-brew
antenna designs because I'm quite sure the VSWR is utter crap (in short:
too much feedback from mismatched cable-antenna impedance back into the
transmitter could overload the receiver, unless you can measure the VSWR
with a network analyzer).

Hope that helps,
  -Rob