[TriLUG] WAY OT: 80x86 Assembly question: ISRs

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Nov 22 19:08:04 EST 2004

Hey Guys,
  Anyone out there fluent in 80x86 assembly language?  I'm trying to fiddle
with ISRs (interrupt service routines) and am hitting a few snags..  My main
question is, is it safe to call other interrupts (i.e. an instruction like
int 09h) from within an ISR?  Most of what I've read seems to imply it ought
to be perfectly safe (saying the processor architecture is designed to
handle nested interrupt scenarios), but nothing I've found yet comes right
out and says it one way or the other.

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
~Brian