[TriLUG] I am a recruiter looking for a Linux Administrator for a position in North Carolina.]]]]]

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:23:19 EST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:43:22 -0500, Brian Henning
<brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
> Can anyone vouch for the authenticity of this message?  I feel like I've
> seen almost word-for-word identical message bodies from several source
> addresses, which makes me wonder..
>
> Cheers,
> ~Brian

OH don't get me started!  (cranking into high gear...)

I was under the impression that most of these were pretty reliable.  I
don't know how to validate this stuff.  Maybe some insights from the
list admin folk (sorry to bother you?) would help.

As someone who is currently undergoing a job search, I know of no way
to protect onesself from various scams, resume trolling, email
trolling, SSN baiting, etc.  I have been placed at a job very
successfully and professionally by an 'indie' recruiter, and I have
had nightmare experiences with some of the ones you see posted all the
time (KFARCE is the worst).

Just had a bad experience with a 'major *nix vendor' here is Florida,
that sells overpriced proprietary UNIX knockoffs for zillions of
dollars and whose name sounds kind of like 'Citrus'.  :)  That
recruiter was horrible and was an indie.   Then I have had other
'indie' types that were so painfully obvious that they were a tiny
outfit, like one guy with a cruddy html page.   Or people who don't
know how to return a phone call AFTER they have left you a message
begging you to work for them.  I am currently working with one of
those, but not holding my breath.

Had another call the other day suppossedly for a job at a NOC with a
major telco company and they wanted my SSN.  It is anybody's guess at
that point as to whether they were real or not (said it was for a
basic 'position of public trust' clearance required by the client).
The recruiter understood my hesitancy (job closed immediately anyway
so I didn't have to give it).

Yes, let's validate these people and their messages!  It is a security
threat for anyone to pursue what they think is a lead, when it is
actually someone on a fishing expedition of one sort or another.

Cheers.
Marc