[TriLUG] External USB enclosures, CD-Roms and the linux..

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 18:37:06 EST 2004

I bought the  PPA-USA Silver 5.25" Aluminum USB 2.0/Firewire External
Case With Light Bar, Model 2230 "ME-380U2FL-X" -RETAIL from
Newegg.com.

Note that the holes drilled for 3.5" drives don't actually match up,
so although not useless, it requires a) leaving one side's set of
holes unscrewed, b) mechanical tweaking.  I also noticed that the
bottom holes on 3.5" to 5.25" rails aren't at the same width as the
holes on the bottom of a CDROM Drive.

For what it's worth, the chipsets internally to these enclosures are
pretty much all the same, but motherboard USB driver support varies
widely.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:21:41 -0500, Joseph Mack <mack.joseph at epa.gov> wrote:
> Joseph Tate wrote:
>
> > I recently bought a USB/Firewire enclosure and have been pretty
> > pleased with it.
>
> What model/brand did you get, and where did you get it?
> The one I got didn't work at all well.
>
> Thanks Joe
>

> --
> Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualization
> LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
> Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com