[TriLUG] Things that might surprise you on AMD-64.

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 24 10:17:25 EST 2004

Just set up my first AMD-64 based system with FC3.

The install creates the following in /etc/passwd:
nfsnobody:x:4294967294:4294967294:Anonymous NFS User

This causes /var/log/lastlog to be a mite large:
-r--------  1 root root 1254130450140 Nov 24 09:57 /var/log/lastlog
(yes, that's over 1 terabyte)

lastlog is a sparse file, so it doesn't really take up that space:

du -h /var/log/lastlog = 52K     /var/log/lastlog

but it made my little tar backup script quite unhappy.  And filled my backup
drive.

Onward into the 64bit future...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net