[TriLUG] SSN for applying to jobs

Craig Cook craig at cookitservices.com
Wed Nov 24 12:41:36 EST 2004

I just wanted to add a quick comment that I was contacted about a (UNIX/Linux) role with a large Telco company that starts with the letter "A".

Apparently I needed to supply my social security number to the recruiter so he could submit my resume.  He gave me a phone number to call to verify that was their new way of finding people - to stop duplicate resumes going though. (Not the last x digits - the whole number).

There was no safe way I could verify any of that, and I'm not comfortable giving my social to strangers, so I rejected the application.

Even if that was their new policy, they don't need my social before I am actually working for them.

Craig Cook
- Working for someone else ;)