[TriLUG] SSN for applying to jobs -OT about credit-

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 18:50:21 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:24:24 -0500, Steve Litt
<slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 04:13 pm, Shane O'Donnell wrote:
> > So if it's just a primary key, why not make up an SSN?
> >
> > It won't cost you the job (immediately, anyway) and if you get the job
> > their only recourse is to not hire you because you provided a fake SSN for
> > a "non-official" purpose.
> >
> > Better to ask for forgiveness...
> >
> > Shane O.
>
> Except if they hire you, you quit your old job, give up your old job's health
> insurance, and then they fire you for lying on your application, and you have
> no job, no health insurance.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Founder and acting president: GoLUG
> http://www.golug.org

Hey Craig, That must've been the same job then, or at least working in
the same place, that they called both of us about.  I don't mind
saying now it was an AT&T job that this was suppossedly all about.
The recruiter swore up and down that she felt bad for us, and hated to
have to ask for it.  It would've been working for the NOC here in
central Fla.   The reasoning I got was that, since AT&T contracts with
government agencies, I could come in contact with sensitive data.
Therefore, this was for 'clearance purposes'.  The clearance was
called a 'position of public trust'.  I hadn't heard of that one prior
but I have looked around since and it does seem to check out ok.
Since I suffer from the cart/horse syndrome with regards to clearances
(want one and otherwise qualify for a zilllion jobs that require it) I
was especially disappointed since this was one opportunity to actually
join the G-man applicant pool.

With regards to recruiters, I have as much respect for them in general
as I do most Death Row inmates.  Having said that, this particular
recruiter sounded a little smarter and more professional, like she
wouldn't ask you if you knew what TCP/IP was or how long you had been
working with browsers ('in years please') and other such nonsense.  I
believe the recruitment for certain jobs that require some real
brainpower require recruiters to exhibit a little bit as well.

Having said that I was lucky the thing supposedly closed on me so I
didn't have to give up my SSN.   I had pitched the idea of them
sending me hardcopy letters on letterhead, explaining their rationale,
with their signatures and I would be willing to give it to them then
but the turnaround was too quick.

Marc