[TriLUG] Re: [GoLugTech] weird time stuff in FC3

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 20:20:52 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:14:11 -0500, linux r <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:
> A recap of my recent timezone madness with Fedora Toy 3.  My timezone
> was out of synch with my user time apparrently, and periodically it
> seems that one/both of them are/were sycnched up to an NTP server
> despite my not having configured NTP.
>
> Last night I was on 'Moscow time', now I show the correct time.
> Tonight I will skip the Moscow thing and blow this away anyway, it's
> got some other issues that just need to go.
>
> Fyi, part of my problem turned out to be user error (not having had a
> good geography course either):     (from the Fedora list:)
>
> > > Atlantic/South Georgia is the country not the state.  Look
> > > for America/* that is closest to you.
> > > Thought of that, it's the 'other' Georgia, right?
>
> No, it's South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands:
> http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sx.html
>
> (which I quickly changed to NC, right? ) WRONG --->
>
> And "America/Dawson Creek" (note, no "'s") is in British
> Columbia, Canada: http://www.dawsoncreek.ca/
>
> Geez Louise.  The lessons we learn.  :)
>
> Having eliminated the user error part, I have now toyed with all of
> the ways to configure time.  Maybe it's still bad, maybe not, I won't
> know until another instance of weirdness occurs.   Obviously there is
> a bug or something wrong with this specific machine.  I am gonna try
> to keep my eye open for it in the future.  I can't prove it's a bug,
> unfortunately.
>
> Cheers
> Marc

Hello,  I am still having a problem with the machine showing Moscow
time on FC3.  I have done all I know to do, and changing the time
didn't help. Now I want to know if it is being compromised.

Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-11-25 20:06 EST
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
(The 65529 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT      STATE SERVICE
22/tcp    open  ssh
25/tcp    open  smtp
111/tcp   open  rpcbind
631/tcp   open  ipp                  ?
5335/tcp  open  unknown    <-----?
32769/tcp open  unknown    <------?

I think I've been had. What do you think ?  How do I turn off a port
at the command line?

Also I am installing chkrootkit.  Here is what I've got so far.

[root at 202 chkrootkit-0.44]# mkdir /var/adm
[root at 202 chkrootkit-0.44]# echo " " >/var/adm/wtmp
[root at 202 chkrootkit-0.44]# echo " " >/var/adm/lastlog
[root at 202 chkrootkit-0.44]# http://www.start-linux.com/chkrootkit
bash: http://www.start-linux.com/chkrootkit: No such file or directory
[root at 202 chkrootkit-0.44]#

I haven't run checkroot yet and apparrently there is some specific
verbiage for FC (3 in this case).  Can anyone tell me what to do to
get chkroot on there and then how to run it?

Cheers,
Marc