[TriLUG] SSN for applying to jobs

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 21:57:00 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:25:24 -0500, Kevin Flanagan <kevin at flanagannc.net> wrote:
> The N&O ran an article a week ago this past Sunday about avoiding ID
> theft.  One of the items listed was a phone number to prevent all of
> those preapproved Credit Card offers, the legit ones, from showing up.
> What that does is to disallow "mini credit checks" that they do to
> approve you.  I haven't seen more than 1/2 a dozen offers in 3 years.  I
> suspect that this is a more complete check, they do not need your
> permission for all checks, I'm guessing that the application would also
> have language on their that allows a credit and criminal records check.
> I know that banks do both.
>
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 14:56 -0500, Michael Thompson wrote:
> >

> --
> Kevin Flanagan <kevin at flanagannc.net>

Oh yeah, that's right, the 3 credit reporting agencies have carte
blanche right to do whatever they darn well please with our data,
regard;ess of what we want.  That is right, it is not a full credit
check but a check nonetheless and frankly I don't won't every monkey
recruiter on the planet digging up my info.  Somehow (probably buried
in the fine print verbiage of the first credit card app you signed)
included the fact that the data goes to Experian, Transunion or
Equifax which then becomes their data.

And the application may indeed have specification for background and
credit checking.   But this was way before any of that, I guess they
are running on verbal permissions at that point.   And by the way, I
am on the list for not having your data exposed to those preapproved
credit card offers, and I have been for quite some time, so that
didn't deter the quickie credit check in my case.   Go figure.

Marc