[TriLUG] SSN for applying to jobs -OT about credit-

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Nov 24 23:32:08 EST 2004

On Wed, November 24, 2004 4:24 pm, Steve Litt said:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 04:13 pm, Shane O'Donnell wrote:
>> So if it's just a primary key, why not make up an SSN?
>>
>> It won't cost you the job (immediately, anyway) and if you get the
>> job
>> their only recourse is to not hire you because you provided a fake
>> SSN for
>> a "non-official" purpose.
>>
>> Better to ask for forgiveness...
>>
>> Shane O.
>
> Except if they hire you, you quit your old job, give up your old job's
> health
> insurance, and then they fire you for lying on your application, and
> you have
> no job, no health insurance.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Founder and acting president: GoLUG
> http://www.golug.org

Yes, but chances are you didn't give up your old insurance b/c your
new employer has a waiting period before your eligible for their
health insurance.  So you took the cobra coverage your old employer
offered, which gives you health insurance for 18 months.  Although
it's expensive and now you don't have a job to pay for it.  Also when
your old employer  asks you if you want cobra, you don't have to say
yes or no right then.    Generally I believe you can wait up to 30
days before you accept or decline cobra.  Thus giving you the
opportunity to save one month of cobra.  If you wait and don't go to
the doctor, you didn't need the coverage.  If you go to the doctor,
then apply for cobra, it will be in effect from whence you left and
your visit will be covered.  Of course this only works in the first 30
days.

Matt