[TriLUG] Slackware boot problem...

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Thu Nov 25 00:05:30 EST 2004

Hi Y'all,
  So the 1GB Microdrive came in the mail today and I installed Slackware-8.1
on it.  8.1 was the only distro I could get to work with my hardware,
seemingly.
  So I went through the whole installation process, seemed to go smoothly
after I realized NFS works better when the service is running (oi, second
time this week..).
  At bootup, I found out I needed to specify root=/dev/hda3.  No big deal.
The big deal came after the "mounting root fs in read-only mode"..  I get a
bad superblock error, and it prompts me for the root password to enter
maintenance mode.  Okay.  No problem.  I'll just e2fsck -f /dev/hda3 and see
what the problem is.....and it's nothing.  e2fsck reports absolutely no
problems.  But upon rebooting, the same thing happens.  During the boot
process, e2fsck says something like "error: is a file, trying to open /" and
gives the bad superblock error.  I am really confused.  Why does it give an
error during the boot process, but not during a forced manual scan in
maintenance mode?

Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers,
~Brian