[TriLUG] SSN for applying to jobs

Craig Cook craig at cookitservices.com
Fri Nov 26 09:05:36 EST 2004

Yes, the company in question was AT&T.  Think the role was based in RTP though. (This was 2+ months ago).

I did consider supplying a fake SSN to apply, but thought that may be a problem if I was short listed.

I ended up telling the New York based recuriter - that I had never delt with before - to either use his own SSN, or make one up if he wanted to submit me.
He wished me well in the job search.

Another problem with that role was that no rate was posted.  I had no idea if it was even worth applying for.  If they couldn't pay what I wanted, it would have been a complete waste of my time - and they got my SSN.

I heard of reports where is it now illegal (or soon to be) to use your SSN as an employee ID.  I wouldn't want to work for someone who uses the SSN as a primary key on a database - or need it to apply for a job.  If that is their level of technical expertise - I belong elsewhere.

I can understand if I had been short listed and the company wanted to do a security check on me before offering a job, but a credit check?  That doesn't make sense.  Who cares if an employee has bad/low credit?  If someone develops poor credit while working for you - is that a reason to dismiss them?

That is in the same category as doing a drug screen before starting a job.  What is to say I don't develop a drug habbit after starting work for someone?
I know 99% of jobs here require a drug screen and everyone seems to accept that.  Other countries I have worked in do not require drug screens.

A criminal record for fraud would be different, but low credit, or low drug use?  If it doesn't interfere with your work, why does an employer care?

The drug test did not detect alcohol.  So, you could be alcoholic, and still work for someone, but take "recreational" drugs and you're not working?
I know drugs are illegal - but so is exceeding the speed limit, or rolling through a stop sign, or red light.

hmm... this is starting to get off topic.

Craig Cook
btw, I don't have a criminal record, do drugs, or have poor credit ;)